Tuesday, September 28, 2010

100 year old squash recipe, What to do with squash, Ida Bailey Allen, Surprise!, Kitchen super heroes, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, pie crust super heroe power, kitchen courage a must

Uhmmmm... squash.... what to do with it?  Make Pie of course.

Jimmy and I cut back on our summer squash plantings this year and we are STILL getting the beat down by squash. So, in desperation I turned to Ida Bailey Allen who provided this surprisingly yummy solution: PIE!

Yessiree brave kitchen  super heroes Ida says PIE.
Gotta tell ya it tastes better than it sounds. I just never thought of putting squash and pie in the same sentence. But it works and its good.  If you like pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie, you will like this.

I'm  going to give you the recipe for the squash pie filling but not the pie crust.  Why no pie crust recipe?  Because I make lousy pie crust.  Seems I'm missing the pie crust super hero power. I don't mind feeding it to Jimmy cuz he'll eat anything I put in front of him. But I just cant do that to people I have not taken a solemn oath to love, cherish and torture til death do us part.  So , I suggest you get the pie crust recipe from someone who knows what they are about.  I wish I could just pull something from a cook book that sounds good, but my conscience wont let me.

Ida says:

Squash Pie

2 1/2 cupfuls cooked and mashed squash (no seeds no rind) ( I clean the seeds out of mine , wrap them in foil and bake them in the oven for about 45 minutes or so)
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp ginger
2 cups milk

Combine all ingredients, beat until smooth and fluffy, Pour into  pie crust (made with NOT my pie crust recipe)
Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes , turn down the heat to 350 degrees  and cook for 35- 40 minutes

1 comment:

Readers