Friday, October 9, 2009

Chicken Gods,frankenchickens,wellingtons,no time for ennui

A quick update to the ennui. The chicken god Apollo.. pronounced a-poy-yo. told me to get off my lazy ass and deal with my birds. I went out to feed them this morning and noticed that one of them had dark circles under eyes and the tips of her comb were dark. This could be any number of chicken problems. Too cold,molting,pox,mites,worms or even something called coccidiosisorsomething. It wasn't there yesterday! So I just spent my morning breaking up a bale of hay in the pen for warmth, sterilizing their water containers and dosing them with chicken antibiotics (the old fashioned sulphur variety... no bio-engineered monsanto crap in my girls... I mean.... who needs or wants frankenchickens). I dusted the coop and them for mites. I added vitamins to their food supply and to soften the blow I gave them some fish and dry cat food (recommended for molting because of the high protein), which normally they love. They are pretty mad at me right now for changing their environment and chasing them around sprinkling crap on them. They all ran to the backside of the pen and sat there huddled and glaring at me. I told them 'god' talked to me and told me to do it. But they have about as much tolerance for god talkin' nutbags as I do. Fortunately they are chickens and there is not a lot of storage room in their little chicken heads so .... I'm certain time will heal their ruffled feathers(pun intended). I have done all I can to insure their safety and good health. If I wake up in the morning and they are all dead ... its not my fault.... or maybe it will be. It wouldn't be the first time in history that a doctor killed someone with good intentions.
ON a side note, When GI Joe's went out of business this summer I picked up a pair of all condition wellingtons for $20. Best $20 I've spent in a long time. I haven't had a reason to use them before now... But today's chores were made so much easier without wet feet and legs. I slipped them off at the back door and sighed happily that I didn't have to scrape chicken droppings off my red wings. Yep for urban farming I highly recommend a pair. Even If they do make you look like something from a british sit com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Readers